As part of a renovation, or addition, consider following a recent trend by incorporating a statement ceiling into the room or rooms being worked on. Ceilings are sometimes referred to as a home’s “fifth wall.” Many homeowners miss out on the chance to take advantage of this extra bit of real estate by making a stylish statement.
There are some practical reasons homeowners may choose to highlight their ceilings:
- The ceilings are high, and they want to make a room feel more intimate.
- They have a room they want to demarcate from the rest of their home with a patterned ceiling, like a kitchen, dining area, foyer, or study.
- Their goal is either a look of elevation and opulence, or a rustic, farmhouse.
- They are refinishing their basement and want to make the ceiling appear higher.
Whatever the reason, there are numerous routes to achieve an attention-grabbing, statement ceiling. As a design/build company, we enjoy using architectural details in our projects
Here are some ways we use statement ceilings as part of remodeling projects:
- Coffered ceilings give a classic dimension to your home’s ambiance. Coffered ceilings create a grid on the ceiling that draws the eye upward. The pattern can reflect a traditional look, or an ultra-modern design, depending on whether the grid is square, symmetrical, or diamond shaped.
- Not only decorative, coffered ceilings can make a room with a high ceiling appear cozier, help stop echoing in a room, or cover up cosmetic flaws or dated textures in a ceiling.
- Tray ceilings create extra dimension and refined elegance. These ceilings create a more spacious feel in a room and are generally recessed. They are often painted a different color than the room’s walls, creating a contrast. Tray ceilings work wonderful in bedrooms, as pictured here.
- In basements, tray ceilings allow necessary ductwork around the perimeter of the room to increase ceiling height in the center.
- Custom wooden beams can be added for a rustic feel or just to add character and warmth to your home’s ceilings. Wooden beams are a gorgeous way to create interest and, when they are stained a dark color, they look amazing against white paint.
In our remodeling projects we have used statement ceilings for all of these purposes. Look at the gorgeous hand-distressed, reclaimed wood beams in this basement project.
Let ADB Help you Transform Your Home and Enrich Your Life
View some examples here and in our Interior Remodeling & Specialties Gallery. Can you see your newly remodeled home with one of these timeless ceiling designs? We at ADB are excited about providing the finer architectural details to transform your home and enrich your life. Contact us today for a free consultation if you’re ready to begin your next home remodeling project and have the peace of mind that comes from hiring a NARI Accredited Remodeling Company!
photos courtesy of Barbara Brown Photography