This remodel won the 2020 NARI National Contractor of the Year Award for Residential Bath $75,001 to $100,000
Every May, the construction industry celebrates National Home Remodeling Month, so what better time to consider your next remodeling project? Whether you’re looking to upgrade your kitchen, improve your bathroom or add on to your home, Atlanta Design & Build is ready to help!
Now more than ever, it’s important to choose a professional, trusted remodeler. Here are 9 tips for making sure you pick the right remodeling partner.
1. History – While longevity is not a guarantee of quality, remodeling firms don’t stay in business by doing poor work or failing to deliver quality service. Atlanta Design & Build has been serving the Atlanta area for nearly 25 years. President Dale Contant has more than 45 years of experience in the construction industry and the rest of our team can boast decades of knowledge.
2. Stay local – Whenever the economy gets challenging or a natural disaster hits, you’re likely to find out-of-town contractors and fly-by-night “handyman” companies flooding the market. A local contractor is going to be aware of local building codes and also be more likely to worry about performing quality work.
3. Ask about insurance and licensing – Atlanta Design & Build is a licensed and fully insured local contractor. Be sure to ask for proof of both. In Georgia, all residential contractors need to be licensed at the state level. A fully insured remodeler is going to protect you in case an accident occurs on the jobsite or there is some other problem with the project.
4. Look for association membership and certifications – The best remodelers uphold the highest standards of professionalism through their associations and certifications. Atlanta Design & Build is a long-time member of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI). We are one of only a handful of companies across the nation to be a NARI Accredited Remodeling Company and the first in Georgia. Our team has also received a number of individual NARI certifications.
5. Ask for references – Most good remodelers generate the majority of their business from repeat and referral business. One of the best places to start when looking is to ask your friends and family about their experiences. Once you are considering a remodeler, ask for references from past customers. Any remodeler who can’t give you names and testimonials from previous clients is one you want to avoid.
6. Check for reviews and violations – Check with your local consumer affairs office and Better Business Bureau to see if there are complaints against the remodeler, and how they responded to them. Check out online reviews as well.
7. Be cautious of low bids or “special” pricing – You know the old saying: If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. If a remodeler is coming in with numbers well below others, there’s probably a good reason for that. Make sure you’re comparing apples-to-apples: Is the project scope the same? Are they using inferior materials?
8. Sign a contract – Be wary of any remodeler that doesn’t have you sign a contract. It protects you as well as the remodeler. It should clearly lay out the scope of the project, how it will be constructed and clarify how problems will be resolved.
9. Avoid large payments up front – It is quite normal to have a remodeler ask for a deposit before the project starts, but most will not ask for complete payment for a project before they start working. Make sure the contract clearly lays out the payment schedule and what work is expected at each stage.
Ready to start talking about your next remodel? Atlanta Design & Build is ready to guide you through your next home project. Contact us today to discuss your remodeling needs!